Welcome to “Confessions of a Cosplayer”. Each week I will feature a cosplayer in the Friday franchise who I either know personally or through social media. As time moves on, I will also be focusing on other iconic horror characters from other franchises than I will have horror inspired cosplayers. If you are a cosplayer or know someone who is a cosplayer and would like to be featured on a weekly spotlight please send an email to SouthJerseyJason@gmail.com
This week we are spotlighting a pint size terror in the cosplay world. I do not know Aidan myself but I have had the pleasure of meeting his older sister (Alyssa) and his brother in law (Zac) during the Friday the 13th celebration weekend this past September in Blairstown, NJ. I have been attending Monster Mania for the past 6 years and I joined the Monster Mania Fan group. I started seeing Alyssa post pictures of her collection and visits to various filming locations of horror movies. Soon after they started an IG account of their collection and “location vacations”. While in Blairstown during Friday the 13th weekend, I was trying to find a spot at the Blairstown Diner (it is very packed during Friday the 13th weekend) a car drove by in the lot with a driver and passenger that looked very familiar to me. As they were desperately looking for a parking spot I approached their vehicle. Alyssa probably had her machete at the ready. I’m very bad with names but I remember faces. I said “Are you Horror Collective on IG? Alyssa replied yes (machete still at the ready). I replied to her “I’m South Jersey Jason” (Machete still at the ready). That is the great thing with the horror community, we are a bunch of great people and I have made so many great friends. Enjoy this week’s spotlight!
Aidan Faulkner, Age 10
- What is your first memory of watching a Friday the 13th movie?
I watched a Kill Count on Dead Meat’s YouTube channel with my brother in law, Zac.
- What is your favorite Friday the 13th movie?
Friday the 13th Part 6: Jason Lives!
- What made you get into the art of cosplaying (how old were you? Where did you first show off your cosplay, do you design your own clothing, hood, hockey mask etc.? If not, who do you use to help with your costume?)
Last year, I was 9 when I first met CJ Graham and I loved his costume and he gave me a lot of tips and tricks on how to create my own Jason costume. I listened to his advice and had my big sister help me. We bought the mask from Scott’s Variety Shop. We are hoping to make or buy another one that is screen accurate and fits me better.
- How many versions of Jason costumes do you have? Do you have plans to showcase more costumes?
Just one for now, but maybe one day Uber Jason!
- Do you attend conventions? If so which ones do you attend? Are there any you recommend for someone who has never attended? What advice would you give to someone who has never attended a convention as a cosplayer?
Yes! My first convention was Awesome Con in Washington DC then Galaxy Con in Richmond, Virginia. But my favorite is Monster Mania! I went to my first Monster Mania in Maryland last October and hoping to go in New Jersey this year.
- What advice would you give to a first time cosplayer?
- Who are some of your favorite cosplayers that you follow on social media or personally know?
South Jersey Jason of course!
- Do you have any social media accounts for your cosplay that you would like to promote?
Not yet, but my big sister and brother in law post my photos for me a lot on their Instagram page @horror.collective